Sunday, November 19, 2006

Knitters are simply the best!

Last night a new on-line knitting magazine launched. You can find it at knitonthenet There's a lovely pattern for a short-sleeved cardigan which was designed by 'Just call me Ruby' and uses Anny Blatt angora (which is lovely to work with) teamed with Jo Sharp dk wool. As I browsed the site it suddenly dawned on me that maybe they could give me some ideas about my running/knitting challenge so I emailed the editor of knitonthenet. Then I went and checked out Ruby's blog which is really interesting and she is obviously a lady who loves all things to do with craft (just like me!) so I emailed her too. I didn't really expect to get a reply from either of them.

How wrong could I be! I had a lovely supportive email back from Susan Crawford, the editor of knitonthenet and Ruby replied and gave me some brilliant ideas to try out. She reminded me that Shetland knitters use a circular needle so they don't need to worry about which row they're on. They also attach their needle to some kind of belt so that they can let go of them. Fantastic! I shall experiment with these suggestions on one of my shorter runs next week. I've put a link to Ruby's blog in my list. If you go and look, do click on the previous post called 'butterflies'. It shows a close-up of some embroidery she's done on a dress - a really simple idea but so effective.

Anyway, back to my training. On Thursday I did another 5.5 miles of hills, Saturday was 8 miles on the roads then 4 miles across the fields (which was very squelchy as it's been raining a lot this week). Today was 15 miles, mostly along the lanes but with a bit of a detour across the fields towards Great Dixter. It was such a lovely day for a run as it's cool but sunny and the views from up at Dixter were fabulous.

No comments: