Monday, November 9, 2009

Back with a vengeance

Over the past few months I've acquired several cones of very fine wool - some cobweb, some 2 ply from various charity shops.

I've had it in the back of my mind that I would learn spinning one day and this seemed like the ideal opportunity to make a start with a drop spindle.

So here it is, a beginner's kit from Sara at itsavintagething on eBay. I emailed her beforehand to ask advice and she was very helpful. She has a little group I can join if I get stuck. I must say that the roving feels gorgeous and I shall have a little play later on to see if I can get to grips with it.



















I whipped up these fingerless mitts as a gift and I know it's safe to show them as the recipient doesn't know about my blog (yet!).










Last but not least we have the poor neglected Oregon cardigan. I just picked her up the other day and knitted 2" on the sleeve so there's just about 2 more inches to go and the first sleeve is complete. Hallelujah! What finally persuaded me to pick her up and finish her was the thought of all that work going to waste. She's far to beautiful to end up as a ufo so I've made myself get on with it.

4 comments:

Shan said...

I love those mitts! The heart is stitched separately and sewn on?

Susie Hewer said...

Thanks Shan! Yes, they were sewn on afterwards. The mitts looked a bit dull when I finished them so I decided to put one of my trademark hearts (a lot of my craftwork features hearts) on the back to make them special. I experimented with stocking stitch, moss stitch, crochet and even fluffy yarn but settled on plain old garter stitch as I thought it gave them a sort of homely feel.

Linda said...

I know I'm partial to anything named "Oregon" since that's where I'm from, but that sweater is fabulous.

Susie Hewer said...

Hi Linda,

Lovely to hear from you. How's Italy?