Wednesday, December 15, 2010

2011 approaches

It's nearly that time again. The time when I have to announce my fund-raising plans for next year.

First though, I'd like to thank everybody who has supported me by sponsoring my efforts this year. Many people make donations year after year and I've been running marathons since mum died in 2005 so that's amazing. Not everyone can afford to donate so they give their support in other ways; a good luck card, a wave and a smile when I'm out running in the pouring rain, even just asking how my training is going can give me a real boost when the going is tough.

Thank you all. You really help to keep me going.

Now, back to my escapades in 2011:

First there's a 5 mile race on New Year's Day with profits going to the Alzheimer's Research Trust. I'm nervous and excited in equal measures as we need more volunteers to help with marshalling etc. Mike and I will be marshalling which will be a new experience.

The event has been organised for me by Martin and Cathy Burke from Nice Work who organise lots of races in our area. I have no idea how many people will brave the elements to support us - if the weather is nice and bright we'll have a good turn-out but if it's wet/cold/snowy then it will not be as good. Fingers crossed anyway. It's certainly not a route for the faint-hearted as it is rather, ahem, undulating!

For those dedicated runners who make the effort, it will be a great start to the new year.

In my own running events there will be plenty going on with added interest as you'd expect:

i) Brighton marathon. I ran the inaugural Brighton marathon this year and it was fantastic. In 2011 I am doing what I don't usually do - trying for a pb (personal best). My road marathon pb is 4:50 and I want to try to get nearer to 4:30. This means there will be lots of speedwork training going on. Eeeeeek!

ii) London marathon a week later. Yep, I'll be back again but this time I'm reverting to knitting as crochet was just too difficult. Not that knitting is easy of course. I can't release the details yet but hope to in the next few weeks. It goes without saying that it will be something incredibly silly!

On the way to these 2 marathons there will be several shorter races to test how my training is going. I started my marathon schedule last week so it's very early days yet.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Susie, many thanks for your comment and I'm glad you enjoy the blog. Best of luck with all your endeavours next year.

Marina said...

In my next life, I want to be you! I will try to be more supportive this year ;-) but not for the first race though I will think of you while I walk on the beach ;-)