Thursday, August 25, 2022

Adventures in August

It should have been so simple; eat, sleep, run, repeat in training for my 10 marathons in 10 days. But that didn't take into account the exceedingly dry weather which made stiles wobbly and already unsecure footplates unsteady. I was running well, it was hot but bearable, everything felt good. When I placed my foot carefully onto the top footplate of a stile I suddenly found myself lying on the rock-hard ground with my left leg bent in a strange manner with my left food underneath it but twisted onto its side. Ouch, I shouted at the Universe! I observed my foot and thought it didn't look quite right and I wasn't wrong. I found just how sore it was as soon as I stood up. Oh bother, that meant I had to limp 3 miles across the fields to get home. I phoned Mike to let him know I was coming home slowly but didn't tell him what had happened as he would have freaked out with worry, bless him. By the time I was about .5 mile from home it stsrted hurting and was stiffening up. Hmmm, not a good sign. On further investigation at home it had started to swell up and there were signs of bruising all over the place. This was 2 weeks before my 10 in 10 and was a bit of a shock to say the least! So straight away I started following the RICE protocol which means Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. I sought advice from all my running chums and they rallied round with lots of helpful suggestions such a Arnica cream for the bruising, Kale soup for healing, hot/cold treatment on the areas affected,Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling. I've been using my wobble board to get back the muscle memory that I've lost due to the sprain. It's great for proprioception and I'm starting to heal nicely now. The sad thing is that I wasn't recovered enough for the 10in10 so have had to postpone to a different one later in the year. In completing the 10 days I will have climbed circa 28,000ft - YIKES! Hopefully I'll be back out training again very soon. With apologies for the formatting but blogger isn't very helpful since it was taken over by Google!

No comments: