Before I show the finished Nellie I need to mention her trunk. I really didn't like the way the end of the trunk was finished. I looked at all those on Ravelry, including the ones where people had chosen to turn the trunk up rather than downwards and inwards, and the more I looked the more I didn't want my Nellie to have a trunk like that.
Sorry this is out of focus but you'll get the idea. You see the end of the trunk is made using a pentagon motif which is the same size as the penultimate one. However, the 2 smaller ends are joined together which leaves a lot of bulk at the other end. The instructions said to gather it and sew it underneath which I did but I really didn't like it.
Nor did I like the bit where the 2 end pentagons joined as the join went in and then the end of the trunk inevitably flared out again and looked odd to my eye.
I spent ages trying to find the solution and in the end it was obvious - take off the end pentagon. Eureka!
So here she is in all her african flower loveliness:
|Sniffing the lavender|
|Searching out the watering holes in the garden|
|I love her crinkly ears|
The other thing I finished off today was the mandala idea for Yarndale. After much fiddling and undoing I finally made the border I wanted.
|Not quite right yet|
Here it is in its unblocked form. It measures 7" so is just right. I'll take another photo when it's been blocked and stiffened which will make a huge difference to its appearance.
I'm off into London again today for a meeting with DeNDRoN where we'll be getting an update on the new website we've been working on which will allow people to sign-up to take part in dementia research.
We've been working on this project for so many years that I can hardly believe it's happening. All very exciting.
Must dash, I have a train to catch!