Tuesday, April 24, 2018

A Quick Catch-up

I am sooooooo excited I can hardly wait for tomorrow to share something very exciting here.  However, today I am still sworn to secrecy and so I'll do a quick update of 2 events.

The Tractor Run


What's a 'Tractor Run'? I hear you cry.  It's an event organised by our favourite tree surgeon Chris to raise money for a local hospice in Hastings.





We accidentally caught part of it last year as Mike and I were heading off for a walk when a stream of tractors trundled past us so this year we went to the start to watch them set off.

Now Chris has done lots of tree/hedge/clearing work for us in the past, seen here dangling high up in an oak tree but we didn't know beforehand that he had organised this event - good man!




We walked down to Bodiam about 45 minutes before the start and I waved excitedly to all the tractors going past us on the main road.




The first person I spotted was Katie with 2 of her little ones and doggie.






Then we had a quick chat with Chris before having a wander around to look at all the various shapes and sizes of vehicles.  There seemed to be many more than last year and after a while they started to look the same so we headed off for coffee and cake.















Then everyone started to load up and get into line ready for the off:





Katie made some last minute adjustments before loading the trailer with children and dogs:










Are you bored yet?  Are you even still reading?!!!







 OK, I'll spare you the rest.  The next photos are all taken en-route courtesy of Katie:









When they reached their destination they stopped for lunch before retracing their route back.  Thankfully the weather was kind.

I've just heard from Chris that they raised more than double the amount from last year with a whopping £1000.52 for the hospice.  Well done everyone!


Another Marathon


No, not the London marathon this year although it was on the same day.  It was an event organised by Traviss and Rachel who called it the Rejects Marathon, for anyone who didn't get a place in the London marathon!  I was keen to be there as Rachael was celebrating her 100th marathon and the dress code was tutus and tiaras.

The tutu I had already and I improvised with the tiara by sticking some of my purple tinsel on my cap:




It was fun watching people arriving in a variety of costumes.






Traviss made his usual announcements and Rachel presented the other Rachael (different spelling!) with her special number which we'd all signed.




It was hot and the concrete along the seawall reflected the heat and made it feel even hotter.  I just got my head down and started to grind out the miles.  There was plenty of banter amongst everyone which helped pass the time and Rachael's little group kept stopping to pose for photos:





I did toy with the idea of going ultra and doing 50k but by the last lap all I wanted to do was head home for a bath and a glass of something sparkly so I did a brisk walk for the last lap, whilst taking a few photos, and headed for home.










Phew, that was a scorcher and I was delighted to finish in 5:28 which I believe is a course record for me.   Goodness knows how as I felt quite sluggish in the heat!


Love this medal!

Apologies for the lack of words in this post but I'm too excited and I can't wait for tomorrow to come so I can share the exciting news with you.

No comments: