Sunday, June 16, 2019

My last ultramarathon as a 61 year old!

Oh my, where do the years go and is it me or do they seem to go so much quicker nowadays? No, it's just that I'm getting old!

Yesterday saw me get up at silly o'clock, again, to head off for the Kent 50 mile event over at Brook  Farm in Reculver, scene of the Viking 100 miler in March last year. As it was a lapped event, of just over 6 miles per lap, you could opt to do fewer laps rather than going for the full 50 miles and I'd decided beforehand that I'd do 50k, which was 5 laps, because it's only 3 weeks until the 1066 100 mile event (eek!).

There were lots of familiar faces there with several celebrations for a variety of achievements (Ollie was celebrating his 200th marathon).


Traviss did the usual announcements


I caught up with Kirsty who had just completed her 25th ultramarathon and is getting close to 300 marathons


The sky was rather dark and ominous-looking when we set off at 7am but it got quite hot later.









To celebrate my return to Brook Farm I wore my Viking 100 mile tee shirt and new black shorts.




My plan was to run each lap at a set pace within a specific range - laps 1&2 at something beginning with a 10 (ie 10 minute miling), 3&4 11 minute miling, 5 at 12 minute miling.

When I set off I felt really strong and I seemed to be keeping pace with people who usually leave me for dust and I worried that I'd start too fast. However, lap 1 was 1:04 and lap 2 was almost exactly the same so I just went with the flow. People kept commenting that I was flying which is most unusual as I'm a back-of-the-pack plodder! But I felt good so I just carried on.

Simon wasn't running so was out and about taking snaps at different spots:




This path was so much better than before as it was just an overgrown track with no room to pass


The Cow Parsley and Hogweed towered above me!


I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I finished and stopped my watch to see 6:06:42 which is 47 minutes faster than my time on the same course last year and an hour faster than last weeks 50k, albeit on an easier course without the steep climbs. 




Next will be another 50k and then it's time to taper ahead of the main event. Oh my!

No comments: