Monday, April 2, 2007

Taper Time again!

Yesterday I completed my final 20 mile run before the London Marathon on 22nd April. I was a bit sluggish because it was very hot by the time I was finishing, even though I set out at 6:30am to try and avoid the heat.

I'm finding it difficult to get my tapering and recovery just right - usually I'd have a nice relaxed 3 week taper before a marathon, but because my goal is actually the 50 miler in July I have to make sure I don't lose too much fitness in the process. Then, after the marathon I would normally take a couple of weeks to recover and just do gentle plodding over shorter distances but I can't afford to do that as I need to keep my milage base right up. What I've done so far is to taper for 2 weeks, run the marathon (or ultra), take a week of gentle plodding and then increase my mileage right up to 50+ miles again. So far my body has coped OK. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

No comments: