Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Crocheting a Snowstorm

Continuing with my Christmas crochet, I spotted a fab book entitled '100 Crocheted Snowflakes' on Jeanet's blog.  It was in Dutch but she kindly sent me a link to it here.  Then I found 4 free patterns from this book on the Deramores site here.  As I've now got patterns for about 20 different flakes I think I have enough to play around with.

Last night I was busy experimenting with different yarns for my snowflakes and then I tried to choose the one I like best to make a garland and I like them all in different ways!  I think for a garland though that the 2nd from the left, on the top, would be good as it's firm and chunky as the ones with long pointy bits could get a bit floppy.

Unblocked snowflakes, still all floppy!

I think I might make some to put into everyone's Christmas cards as  a little memento as they are so quick and easy to make.

Christmas knitting continues apace.  I really must try to take photos before I wrap things as I often forget!

Winter friends


Last night we had a little visitor in our bedroom looking for a place to stay over the cooler winter months.

Beautiful green lacewing
I'd read on the uksafari.com website that they change colour during the cooler months but I was still surprised when I saw the same lacewing this morning -

Beautiful pinky/brown lacewing
 How amazing.

Lights, camera, action!

What's all this about?  Watch this space!

Mandy, Jennifer & George

2 comments:

Shan said...

Sorry to hear you were lurgified by the boiler man. My family was lurgified by a visiting cousin, so I know how that feels.

Lovely coconut cake!

And the snowflakes are great. My Mum is making a flurry of them this year - she plans to decorate her tree using only white fairy lights and the crocheted, starched snowflakes. It'll be pretty.

Susie Hewer said...

Ooooh, I like the sound of your mum's tree - sounds very sophisticated. Please will you ask your mum what sort of starch she uses? I've tried the spray starch which is reasonably effective but I wonder if the old style soaking starch might give a firmer result? I wondered about using diluted pva glue but that might yellow with time.