Monday, October 22, 2018

Awesomeness!

I have several running friends from across the pond and I always love hearing them say "awesome" and it reminded me to write about Mr Awesomeness himself, Nick Nicholson. Why does he deserve that accolade?  Because for the last few years he has been quietly devoting his whole life to smashing records in the marathoning world and pushing himself beyond what is considered the norm.


How many people can do a loony jump like this during a marathon?!

Seen here with his lovely girlfriend Lorraine who's appeared on my blog several times.  It can't be easy having a bf who's always jetting back and forth between here the the USA.


Here's a selection of his races for late September/early October.  Of course the ones in the USA also require air travel as he covers the whole country.


Nick is originally from Pensacola, Florida and following a painful divorce he decided to challenge himself to do something amazing and in true Forrest Gump fashion he chose to run.  Unlike some of the airy-fairy records claimed by some people, who go out for a training run of marathon distance (which is unverified) and claim it as a proper marathon, all the marathons Nick has completed are all official events in which his name appears in the results so his records are verifiable.

Here are some of his stats:

2018 is the 3rd year in a row when he has completed 200+ official marathons:

2016 - 202 marathons
2017 - 253 marathons
2018 - 201+ marathons as at 6th October which was also his 700th official marathon

He set the record for most official marathons in a year (270) between 22 July 2017 and 21 July 2018. I  can't really get my head round that can you? - how can a body sustain such a high level of activity?  It just shows what grit and determination can achieve.





He has completed 50ks (ultra marathons that are longer than the standard 26.2 miles) in each US state in Alaska on 24 July 2018 in 40 weeks and 4 days.

Not only is he an awesome runner, he's a nice guy too.  Keep on pushing the boundaries Nick; you are truly awesome (except when you hunt me down and overtake me in the latter stages of a marathon which is just rude!).

More awesomeness


What else deserves that title?  Mother Nature, that's for sure.  I have loads of beautiful photos to share so will make a start with these:



I was doing the washing-up when I spotted this beautiful Greenfinch sitting on the Borage in the herb bed.


I thought he was catching bugs........


...........but he was actually eating the flower-buds!

Unlike last year when I was snapping lots of assorted fungi, this year I've hardly seen any as yet!  I'm hoping they'll just start appearing all of a sudden.  This gorgeous shaggy inkcap, aka Lawyer's Wig, Coprinus comatus, appeared at the edge of the lawn a few days ago and I watched it develop and disappear over 3 days:

Day 1



Morning


Afternoon


It looks like tufts of hair!


Day 2


Morning



Afternoon


Day 3

You can only just make it out!


Almost gone.

I'll leave you with a photo my one of my Christmas Cacti which started flowering at the beginning of October.  It's 4 years old and usually starts to flower at the beginning of December so I think it's a bit confused as my others are only just starting to produce very small buds!








I've got my favourite Trail marathon, Beachy Head, this weekend so I'm hoping the weather stays nice and bright as the views are amazing on a clear day.

No comments: