Thursday, September 23, 2021

Nearly there!

I'm now just a few days away from my 200th marathon if everything goes to plan this week. I really can't believe it actually as it hasn't sunk in properly yet.

I sent my spreadsheet off to the 100 Marathon club to be checked and got the OK so it's all systems go for the weekend when I hope to end with a double on Saturday & Sunday. Eeek!

In the meantime there's been lots going on.

Last weekend I headed off to Bewl for marathon 198. Although it's close to home it isn't a favourite as I have faceplanted there before (lots of tree roots in dappled light is not good for me as my eyesight is not good in those conditions)!

As it turned out I had a lovely time because when we set off at the start I was chatting with a young girl who was doing her first marathon and I advised her not to get carried away with the crowd and to run at her own pace. She sped off up the hill and a someone running nearby said "I recognise that voice, although I haven't heard it for nearly 7 years!" 

I looked round to see Claire who I last ran with in Dymchurch when she was trying to reach her 40th marathon by the time she was 40 and it was my 40th marathon too. After that she stopped doing long distances as she was trying to get pregnant which she did eventually and she had a lovely little boy named Emrys who I hadn't met until that day. 

No photos I'm afraid 'cos I didn't take my camera for fear of damaging it in a fall but you can get a feel for the grounds here. It was a jolly hot day and we were glad to be running in the shade of the woods for about 2/3 of the route. I must take a photo of the medal as it's actually a useful one because it can be used as a bottle-opener! Now for 199 & 200.........

Our usual horsey visitors arrived a couple of weeks ago and have moved into the field nearest the house now the foals have stopped calling for their mummies:





It's lovely to look out of the window and see them as I still miss my old ladies. Heather, who breeds them, has offered me one of her unproductive mares who has been failing to produce foals but that would mean I'd have to get another horse as a companion and I don't want all the hassle, let alone the expense, any more as our lanes are too busy to enjoy hacking out these days.

No comments: