Saturday, June 4, 2022

A grand day out

Before I forget!

An ultra marathon up on the South Downs? Perfect weather conditions and not too many entrants? One to run the downs and walk the uphills? Chat with lovely people and soak up the amazing views, then take far too many photographs?

Yes please.

This was the perfect event for me as I'm still nursing an injury on my right knee; it behaves well whilst running/walking but complains a lot afterwards although it is improving now thank goodness. The event started at Steyning Grammar School and followed the South Downs Way trail to Clayton village hall and then return in reverse.

I knew it was going to be tough and on reflection I should have taken my walking poles for the steepest sections but I was just happy to be out in such a beautiful place. I chatted with lots of fellow runners and passers by and had a fabulous day with a nice surprise at the end. 

I'll let the photos do the talking:

You know it's not going to be an easy one when you see a sign like this just after the start!

The following photos were all taken on the return phase when I did more walking than running to help my knee, except for the downhill bits of course.




I love cows and these youngsters were really friendly and I got to stroke some of them





A welcome checkpoint ahead of a steep climb!

At the checkpoint I spotted this beautiful ram. Some locals told me he liked to have his head scratched and so I did! Look at those beautiful curly horns.

Oooh, a flat bit!

Heading towardss the windmills, known locally as Jack and Jill





I'm not sure if this is the Steyning Bowl



This photo gives a really good indication of the down/ups! I took the photo going down the hill which was actually harder than going up the other side due to my knee issue.





I know this section with the pylons well as it's part of several of the Downland marathons. There was a huge outcry when the electricity company put these pylons all the way through the valley but now they seem to have become just another feature of the landscape.

There were lots of poppies along the field margins and some of the cropped fields had a margin of wildflowers.

Swans along he River Adur - last time I ran across there, earlier this year, the water was over the riverbank!

Beautiful white cows with black noses and ears. Most unusual.


After that it was mostly downhill through woodland (with lots of trip potential!), across a farmyard, over a few fields and then back to base where I was amazed to get a trophy for being the first over 60 old biddy (I'm very soon to be 65 - where did the years go?!) 


All in all that was a perfect day out and I felt blessed to be able to enjoy our beautiful countryside.

No comments: