Monday, November 13, 2006

What's it all about?

In June 2007 I will be celebrating my 50th birthday. Such a momentous occasion has to be marked in a special way so what else is a girl to do but run some marathons plus an ultra marathon of 52.4 miles! The events I'm planning to run are the Draycote 35 mile race in February, the Steyning Stinger marathon in March, the London marathon in April, the SIS South Downs marathon on my birthday in June and then the biggy, the Kent 50 mile challenge in July which is actually 52.4 miles.

As I’ve run the London marathon twice already I’ve decided to make it a bit more of a challenge this time. With the help of the lovely people at www.laughinghens.com who have provided me with needles and yarn, I shall be ‘extreme knitting’ my way round - running for a bit and then stopping to have  a knit and natter with spectators. I plan to finish knitting a scarf en-route which will then be auctioned at a later date.

Mad woman! I hear you cry. That's as maybe, but having watched my poor dear mother taken away by vascular dementia I cannot rest until I have raised more money for research into this dreadful disease so I am supporting the Alzheimer's Research Trust.

Please read mum's story and you'll see why I feel compelled to do this.

No comments: