Sunday, June 10, 2007

World Knit in Public Day

I had hoped to go into London to join the mass Knit Out in Trafalger Square, but we had managed to get tickets to a marvellous concert at a local school and we couldn't get into London and get back in time. So, I had to improvise! Instead, Mike and I went into Tunbridge Wells shopping and I took my knitting with me. Here I am knitting outside a coffee shop (you can't see the cafe latte and the yummy lemon and poppy-seed muffin that we shared) - nobody paid any attention whatsoever! The poncho I'm wearing was a really quick knit using enormous needles and a yarn called 'Magic' that I got from YarnMarket.com together with a free pattern. It's great to just throw on over a tee shirt and makes jeans look a bit more special.

The concert we went to was an ensemble founded by Michael Collins, an amazing clarinettist (my favourite recording is 'Gnarly Buttons' by John Adams) and included the Brahms Clarinet Quintet, which I knew, and the Schubert Octet in F minor, which I didn't. Their playing was world class and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole concert, especially the Schubert which was a brilliant piece. The players gelled really well and obviously enjoyed the piece too. A great evening.

No comments: